Saturday, November 30, 2013

Cancer Journey - Oct. 19, 2013

I decide I'd better let my brother in on this - especially before someone posts something on Facebook.  I know he's out of town with friends watching the Husky game, so I just send him a text and ask him to call me whenever he has a moment.  He texts back immediately "what's up sis?".  Hmmm... I can't lie to him, so I tell him that "I've had some medical news that I wanted to share with you".
**RING!**
My brother is responsive, I'll give him that!
So, I drop the cancer bomb on him and, like the dear brother he is, responds, "Are you F'ing Sh*tting me?"  Sorry Bro.  I wish I was.
... short background needed.  My brother's (now ex) wife had breast cancer in her early 30's and had a rough year of surgery, heavy-duty chemo, radiation... the works.  Hers was a 'triple negative'.  Something I never really understood, but I'm beginning to get it now.  Her cells didn't respond to the usual treatments... so they had to blast her with everything.  The good news is that she's fine now.  Please God, don't tell me I have to go down that road.
It feels good to talk to family and we are both nervous about telling Mom and Dad.  We also agree that this isn't a conversation to have by email or phone.  I need to do this in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment