Saturday, November 30, 2013

Cancer Journey - Oct. 17, 2013

Now comes the telling of people.  This is hard.  What do I say to people when I'm not even sure what is except 'breast cancer'??  I only tell Michele, Shasonta, Pam, Judy, and Jeff K. for now.
Jana calls me before lunch and gives me the names of some doctors she recommends.  Her first choice is a Dr. Kaufman here in town, but his first available isn't until November 4th and she's concerned that that is too long to wait.  Great.  She also gives me a couple of names of some doctors in Mt. Vernon that may be able to see me sooner, but suggests that I really just need to talk to Aetna to find out what they will cover.  I hang up feeling very alone.  How the hell am I supposed to know who to go to?  How do I know the best path to take?

Jeff takes me to lunch and then I lock myself in the training room at work and start to make some phone calls...

I call Dr. Kaufman's office and they are expecting my call - well, okay, that makes me feel a bit better.  They suggest I come in and watch a video that Kaufman has done and fill out some preliminary paperwork.  Ok.  Got that scheduled for today at 3:30. Small progress.

Next, I call a clinic in Mt. Vernon and get a consultation appointment with a Dr. Hawkins.

Next up is Dr. Paul.  I better bring him into the loop and see what kind of counsel he might be able to provide.  I can see him tomorrow at 3:30.

Okay, now I feel a little better.  Plans are made and I have a few things on the calendar.  For a 'Virgo Betty' like myself, that helps to stem some of the building anxiety.

I go to Kaufman's office and watch an hour long video on his version of "Breast Cancer 101".  Wow.  It's a lot to absorb, but very well done. And I get great news that he can see me next Friday at 4.  Cool.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment