Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Gettin' creative in the kitchen - basil pesto

Okay -- so my dear friend, Shasonta, introduced me to this fabulous CSA called Acme Farms and Kitchen and I've started ordering their 'Paleo Box'.  Absolutely amazing stuff!  But, you get A LOT so you have to get creative to get it all used up before it ends up in the compost pile.
So this week I received a huge bundle of basil - just how do they grow the leaves that big anyway?  Since I have a few basil plants of my own, I needed to come up with another use for what I received.  Solution?  Pesto!  Super easy, and a great thing to to have handy during the winter when you need a quick sauce.  Started with a basic recipe and then modified a bit (see notes in [xxx]).  I'm still learning the whole take-photos-as-you-go thing, so bear with me....

Basil Pesto
4 cups basil (can substitute 1 cup Italian parsley if you need to stretch your basil supply)  [I just stuffed my 4-cup food processor]
8-10 cloves of garlic [yep - love me the garlic]
Salt and Pepper
[I added a hefty 1/2 cup of toasted pine nuts]
[I added 1/2 cup of shredded parmesan]
1+ cup extra virgin olive oil [started with 1/2 cup and then drizzled in more till I got the consistency I liked]

Put basil, garlic, pine nuts, cheese, salt/pepper and 1/2 cup olive oil in food processor and let her rip.  While the processor is on, drizzle in more olive oil until you like the consistency.


Then spoon into ice cube trays to freeze.  Once frozen, I just transfer them to a ziplock bag and keep in the freezer until I need them.  Toss them into soups or put one or two into a skillet and add some coconut milk for an instant sauce.  Delish!



1 comment:

  1. I love to make my own pesto! I am getting my first Acme farms box this week - so excited!!

    ReplyDelete