Monday, July 28, 2014

Burning Through Radiation

The radiation portion of my treatment has begun.  35 daily (Monday thru Friday) treatments.  So far - I'm 17 treatments in - there are no visible side-effects.  There's a chance I will get a bit of a sunburn feel to the treated area and also some fatigue, though nothing like the fatigue I felt during chemo.  I'm guessing that the effects of all this will be cumulative, so it may be a couple more weeks before my body catches up to what's happening.
So, what's a typical treatment session like?  Weird.  It's all just weird. 
I arrive at the Cancer Center and head back to the radiation waiting area.  There are some chairs and the usual scattering of old magazines to read.  There is also a table with a puzzle on it, so most of us poke away at the puzzle while we wait.  A large glass door opens and one of the radiation technicians comes out to get you.  They pull a warm blanket out of something that looks like a refrigerator and back you go to a huge room:


They hold the blanket up to you while you strip down to your waist (all sense of modesty or embarrassment has been completely removed from my psyche by now) and then hand you the blanket as you walk over to lay down on the 'bed'.  Between me and the 'bed' is a blue "form".  Before treatment began, I was brought in for a set-up session where I laid down on what felt like a bean bag pillow.  The technician packed the bean bag all around me and then sucked all the air out.. leaving a hard form that forces me to lay in the exact same position for every treatment.
Once I'm laying in my usual position, the blanket gets removed from my right side (there goes the modesty again) and 2 to 3 technicians all stare down at me while one of them has a large remote control in their hand and moves the bed this way and that trying to line everything up.  A light is shining down on me that illuminates a ruler, and the technicians rattle off various numbers to each other.  Once I'm all set the way they like it, they leave the room and that large machine rotates around me and stops in 4 different locations and makes a long beep sound -- that's the radiation beam going off. 
That's it.  From the time I walk in, to the time I walk out, takes about 10 minutes.

So, why am I doing this?  Didn't the chemo kill everything possible?  Well, yes and no.  The chemo goes through the bloodstream and kills off any potential cancer cells it can, but blood doesn't go everywhere.  It doesn't penetrate scar tissue, nor the milk ducts of the breast - which is where my cancer started in the first place.  That's where the radiation comes in.  It specifically targets those areas on my effected side, once again killing cells.  Healthy cells regenerate - cancer cells can't regenerate as quickly, so by being zapped each day, they don't get a chance to regenerate.  All to build up the odds in my favor that this bitch doesn't ever return.

No comments:

Post a Comment