Wednesday, February 5, 2014

A short hall pass to San Francisco


In case you don't know me, I'm an exhibition manager for The International Society of Optics and Photonics - and no, we don't make eye glasses.  Basically, I'm a logistics person.  Ever been to a boat show, or a home and garden show?  Ever wonder how all those exhibiting companies get placed where they are? Or who orders all of the aisle carpet, signage, access guards, floral, and such?  Yeah, probably not, but that's what I do.  And our biggest event is being held this week in San Francisco. When all of this first started, I was completely bummed that I may not be able to go to this event.  I've been going for the last 17 years - it's part of who I am.  It's what I do.  So I was more than thrilled that the nurses said it would be okay for me to go, as long as I don't do anything stupid.  Um.. define "stupid"?  :-)
I flew in on Thursday and came home on Monday.  Just enough time to help out with the move-in and set-up, and to have a chance to see some folks that I've known for years, but only see once a year.  It was so good to see these people and let them know I'm alright.  It was a much needed boost to both my mental health and my inner spirit.  There were some tears when I was packing up to leave, but I'm so glad I had a small respite from the Cancer World.

I do have to relay something that happened to me on my way home.  I was standing at the airport gate in San Francisco - just leaning against a pillar, waiting for them to start the boarding call, when a woman approached me and placed her hand on my arm.  She asked if I was a 'fellow sister fighting the fight?'.  When I replied that I was, she gave me a hug!

This 'club' obviously has more than it's fair share of members - and I'm just beginning to meet them.

Can't take credit for the photo - thank you Google Images
 

1 comment: